Thursday, April 7, 2011

Honey Dijon Deli Roll With Caramelized Onions & Puff Pastry Cinnamon Sugar Smushers

PESACH CLEANING BLOG – PART #2

I was very conflicted about today’s blog.  On the one hand I wanted to give you amazing Pesach recipes with fabulous photos – except I’m not ready for Pesach yet!  I know there are people that have awesome Pesach kitchens, or that are so organized there is no chametz left in their homes…I’m just not one of them.  The last batch of Pre-Pesach chametz chocolate chip cookies is about to come out of the oven, and I’m slowly getting rid of the chametz in my pantry, cabinets, and refrigerator.  I’m still cooking chametz for Shabbat…so no Pesach recipes yet!  However, I am happy to give you the recipes for the chametz containing foods that I am making this week! 

We were very blessed to be invited to the Purim Seuda at my friend Fran’s house (not the Vegetable Soup Blog Fran…yes, it would seem most of my dearest friends are named Fran).  We came early enough to be able to help setup.  One of the biggest benefits of helping setup is that you get to pick at the extra scraps of food that didn’t merit being placed on the actual serving tray.  For example, the ends of the cake, or the pieces of other foods that conveniently “just didn’t happen to cut right”.  My favorite “shnookering” food was a sliced chicken/deli roll.  It was amazing!  I am a bit ashamed to admit that I was responsible for the diminished quantity of those scraps.  I asked Fran for the recipe.  In her incredibly laid back way she said “Oh, I don’t know…I just threw some stuff together.  I had some leftover chicken that I put in, I sautéed some onions and put that in, wrapped it in some puff pastry and stuck it in the oven. It was easy.”   We love Fran, and we love how brilliant she is (although she will never admit it)!  What really made that roll so awesome were the sautéed onions!  They added a fabulous sweetness and flavor to the recipe that kept me coming back!

When I went to my freezer to figure out what chametz odds and ends I had left, lo and behold – there were exactly 3 puff pastry sheets left.  I also had about ¼ jar of Honey Dijon mustard left in the refrigerator.  Remembering Fran’s recipe, I put together the Honey Dijon Deli Roll with Caramelized Onions.  I know that everyone has their own version of the Deli Roll – and I’d love to hear about yours…but I loved the idea of melding the Honey Dijon Mustard, spicy chuck pastrami, milder white turkey breast, and the flavorful sweetness of the caramelized onions.  Topped with additional caramelized onions, it makes a beautiful side dish or appetizer. 
Honey Dijon Deli Roll...
with Caremlized Onions!!
The roll used up of one of the puff pastry sheets.  I still had two to go…and it had to be easy and fast! (I may not actually be ready for Pesach yet, but I am getting ready!)  I sprinkled the remaining pastry with a cinnamon sugar blend, cut it into triangles, and then baked it.  Easy, little Puff Pastry Cinnamon Sugar Smushers.  The whole prep time was around five minutes – so speedy.  The kids love shnookering them, they are pretty addicting!  Light and airy, melt in your mouth, and a little sweet…the perfect “cookie” snack!  The best part…less chametz in the house!  Now if only cleaning the rest of the house for Pesach were that easy….

Puff Pastry Smushers
 To assuage my guilt about not posting a Pesach related blog this week, I give to you a link to a Pesach related video I did a few years ago for the cable TV show “Taped With Rabbi Doug”. Enjoy!


HONEY DIJON DELI ROLL WITH CARMELIZED ONIONS
1                      large                 onion, very thinly sliced
1                      tablespoon        minced garlic
2                      tablespoons      olive oil

1                      sheet                puff pastry, defrosted
¼                     cup                   Honey Dijon mustard
scant ½            lb                     chuck pastrami, thinly sliced
scant ½            lb                     turkey breast, thinly sliced        

1                      large                 egg,
1                      tablespoon        warm water
                                                non-stick vegetable spray
                                                additional sautéed onions and mustard for garnish

Preheat oven to 375° F.  Cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray with non-stick vegetable spray.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil.  Sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium heat, periodically stirring, until onions are caramelized.  This can take up to 15 minutes.

Spread a thin layer of mustard on puff pastry.  Place a layer of pastrami on the mustard, covering the entire sheet, using the entire ½ pound.  Place a layer of turkey on the pastrami, covering the entire sheet, using the entire ½ pound.  Evenly spread the caramelized onions over the layer of turkey.  Roll.  Place on the prepared cookie sheet.  

With a sharp knife, make several diagonal slits across the top of the roll.  Whisk together the egg and water.  Brush over the top of the roll.  Bake for 45 minutes until top of roll is golden brown.  Serve sliced with additional mustard and sautéed onions.

PUFF PASTRY CINNAMON SUGAR SMUSHERS
2          sheets               puff pastry, defrosted
½         cup                   brown sugar
½         cup                   sugar
1          tablespoon        cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375° F.  Cover two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.

In a small bowl, blend together sugars and cinnamon.  Sprinkle sugar mixture over the two pastry sheets.  Evenly cut the puff pastry sheets into small squares.  Cut each square into half diagonally.  Place triangles on prepared cookie sheets.  Bake for 11-15 minutes until puffed and browned.   Watch them disappear!

 HONEY DIJON DELI ROLL WITH CARMELIZED ONIONS:


Slice the onions very thinly...
 The last of the Pre-Pesach mustard and puff pastry!
LOVE the spicy pastrami!
 Caramlized Onions!!! YUM!!!
 Now put it all together...
 Roll it up tightly, score it, egg it, bake it!
 Puffed, golden brown & delicious!
Slice & serve!


 PUFF PASTRY CINNAMON SUGAR SMUSHERS:

Sprinkle the sugar on the pastry,
slice & bake...so easy!
 Smushers are done...
a little light taste of Heaven!

 I'd love to hear from you!! Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions and recipes after each blog!!!  Don't forget to pass this blog on to your friends and family!!

Look for additional information about  Edible Experience Kosher Everyday at sharonmatten.blogspot.com or on Facebook at Edible Experience by Sharon Matten.

No comments:

Post a Comment